Tag Archives: Kitchener

Losing Even More History

Image from Kitchener Public Library

Image from Kitchener Public Library

The city of Kitchener, is ordering the demolition of the historic Mayfair Hotel because the 110-year-old building poses a public safety risk. Now is it is rumored that the owners of 156-158 [the adjoining buildings] are going to ask Council to withdraw its intention to designate that building too. Whether they want to demolish it, along with 11 Young Street, the Mayfair Hotel, we won’t know till they speak at council.

It seems appropriate to pass on a little history of the people associated with these buildings.

Henry Lippert of the Mayfair Hotel building

http://generations.regionofwaterloo.ca/getperson.php?personID=I179615&tree=generations

EDWARD LIPPERT PASSES AT HOME

Had Active Career As Manufacturer, Merchant, Hotelman, and City Builder

Edward Lippert, 62, former alderman, senior member of the undertaking firm of Lippert and Hunter, and prominent Kitchener businessman, died at his home, 42 College Street, at 8:30 o’clock last evening following an illness that set in early in the year.

Mr. Lippert had been confined to his bed for about two months. Recently and up until yesterday there was a slight improvement in his condition but pneumonia set in. He was communicative and conscious until about 15 minutes before he passed away.

The deceased was elected to the Kitchener City Council at the last municipal election, but owing to his illness he was able to attend only a few meetings. He resigned about two months ago, and was succeeded by C. C. Hahn, former mayor.

Successful in Business

Mr. Lippert’s death means termination of a long and successful business career. The deceased was son of the late George Lippert Sr., founder and head of the former Lippert Furniture Company Ltd. and for many years, chairman of the Kitchener Public Utilities Commission. He was born in Preston but the family subsequently moved to Kitchener where he attended St Mary’s school.

Leaving school at 12 years, he learned the upholstering trade, working in various local shops. Subsequently he was employed in Grand Rapids, Salt Lake City, Utah, and Central City, Colorado. It was while he was working in a Central City furniture and undertaking establishment that he entered his first business venture.

He wanted to quit his job, but the employer induced him to stay by taking him into partnership. This was successful. The second milestone of his business career was becoming financially interested in 1902 in the furniture factory started by his father, the late George Lippert, located on Louisa street.

Mr. Lippert quit the Central City partnership in 1905 when he returned to Kitchener. In that year, he also undertook his first real estate enterprise. He built the first three stories of the block on the northeast corner of King and Young streets at that time and started a retail furniture and undertaking business. He conducted this business at this stand for many years.

His faith in Kitchener and his aggressiveness resulted in him becoming interested in other real estate properties, which he owned or of which he was part owner, up until his death. Mr. Lippert’s real estate purchases were always followed by improvements. It was his policy not to allow his buildings to become dilapidated.

The deceased sold the furniture end of the business in 1920. In the same year he bought the Brunswick House, at the northwest corner of King and Young streets, then an apartment house. He changed the name to the Windsor House and again turned the place into an hotel. after completing refurnishing it.

He operated this hotel until 1924, when he sold it to Charles Bruder, the present owner.

Builds New Block

Following his sale of the Windsor property, he built the block of stores on the north side of King street west between Water and Francis streets, in which he subsequently started up a new retail furniture business and which he later turned over to his sons, Harold and Edward Jr. and to Alexander Reinhart. the present owners. The modern funeral home, Lippert and Hunter, is located in this block He opened the Mayfair Hotel, King and Young streets, where the furniture and undertaking business was formerly located, on Sept. 11, 1929. By coincidence, his death occurred exactly on the sixth anniversary of the day on which he received his first hotel guests.

Before opening this hotel, he put on three more storeys over the three old ones, and had the distinction of being the first owner of a six-storey building in Kitchener.

Active in Texas

Mr. Lippert’s enterprise, however, was not confined to Kitchener, but extended far beyond the city and even out of Canada. In addition to owning Toronto and Calgary properties, he opened an entirely new business section in a Texas town. He built the first row of business buildings in the district, had the street widened and other improvements made.

The deceased, in addition to being an enterprising and aggressive business man, was a citizen interested in his home city. Of late years, he was particularly interested in the improvement of municipal government. He fought for lower taxation and easing of the burden on the taxpayer, and it was largely through this activity that the Kitchener Taxpayers’ Association was organized some years ago and that as a result a public forum from which municipal issues could be discussed was provided. He also believed in the necessity of Kitchener getting new industries.

Elected to Council

During the last municipal election held in December, Mr. Lippert was induced by a number of citizens to stand as a candidate for alderman, and he was returned to office.

Mr. Lippert was a staunch Liberal, and during the 1924 provincial election, took the platform in support of the party and local candidate and the Canadian Woodmen. He was a member of St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, St. Boniface Society,
Kitchener Daily Record 12 Sep 1935

The Hymmen Family [Hardware business from 1850-1960]

http://generations.regionofwaterloo.ca/getperson.php?personID=I186267&tree=generations

August and Charles Boehmer in the sixties owned a hardware, stove and tinware store at 58 East King Street. In 1874, they began manufacturing paper boxes, after selling the hardware stock to C. E. Moyer and the tinware shop to Peter and Henry Hymmen. Hymmen Bros. first leased quarters in the Canadian block from J. Y. Shantz, and later on in the Germania block. Hardware and plumbing were added to their lines. In 1892, Peter Hymmen bought his brother’s share. In 1906, he opened up West King Street as a business section, erecting a large block at No. 158. Mr. Hymmen was active until shortly before his death in 1930. Prior to his departure, his sons, H. I.. Hymmen and Homer Hymmen, had been their father’s associates and now direct the enterprise. After Henry Hymmen left the firm he was for four years with H. Wolfhard & Co., and then bought C. E. Moyer’s hardware stock. He carried on in the Dunke block until 1900, when he was appointed superintendent of the waterworks. George Potter, who for many years had been with John Fennell & Son, bought Mr. Hymmen’s stock, and is still doing business at the old stand.

A History of Kitchener, W. V. (Ben) Uttley, Kitchener, Ontario 1937, pg 159

____________________________

Hymmen Bros. & Chamberlain, Hardware, Stoves, Pumps, etc., King Street – The hardware trade in Berlin is one in which a large amount of capital is invested, and in which employment is furnished to many hands. The goods handled are those in use in all building operations, houses, stores, offices, etc., and consequently the demand is large and the field of operations extensive. Among those actively and prominently engaged in this line of industry is the firm of Messrs. Hymmen Bros. & Chamberlain, whose business has been established for the past six years, Mr. Chamberlain having been admitted a partner last spring. The premises occupied are large and commodious, being 20×124 feet in dimensions, where a large and well assorted stock of hardware, stoves, pumps, tinware, hot-air furnaces, cutlery, etc., etc., is carried in profusion. The firm manufacture their own tinware both from order and for stock. They give employment to 8 competent assistants and skilled workmen, and use one team for the delivery of goods to customers, who come from the town and surrounding sections of country. The business since its inception has been constantly improving and still steadily increases, the volume of business transacted this fall being very large and in advance of former years. All members of the firm are natives to Canada, and imbued with all the business characteristics which have made the country such a successful commercial one. They are held in the highest regard by all who know them.

Industries of Canada Historical and Commercial Sketches Hamilton and Environs 1886

_______________

Article now a Bitter pill

Former Mayfair Hotel and Hymmen Hardware in Kitchener’s Centre Block are designated by Kitchener City Council

December 15, 2008

Former Mayfair Hotel and Hymmen Hardware in Kitchener’s Centre Block are designated by Kitchener City Council.
On November 24, a representative of the North Waterloo Region Branch, made a brief presentation to Kitchener City Council in support of Heritage Kitchener’s submission to designate 11 Young Street, the former Mayfair Hotel and 156-158 King Street West (P. Hymmen Hardware). Both buildings have cultural heritage significance. Happily, City Council passed a motion to designate these buildings.

In its statement of cultural heritage value, Heritage Kitchener stated that the exterior condition of both buildings is good. Concerning the former Mayfair Hotel, the report states that the building has an historic association with prominent Kitchener business man Edward Lippert,who in 1905 built a 3 storey structure for his furniture and undertaking business, as well as other buildings in the downtown. Lippert served as a city councilor in the 1930’s. This building is of a Renaissance Revival Style, a relatively common style for commercial buildings of the period; in 1929, three storeys were added in art deco style which was popular in the 1930s. The two styles blend well.

Here is a quote from the report :”contextually, the former Mayfair Hotel makes an important contribution to the downtown streetscape. Apart from the replacement of windows and minor alterations to the façade at street level, the building appears as much as it did in 1929, and adds to the visual and architectural continuity of the historic main street. It was the tallest building (at six storeys) in the downtown following the construction of the 1929 addition and continues to occupy a prominent location on King Street.”

Regarding, the former Hymmen Hardware Building the report states that it “makes an important contribution to the downtown streetscape. Apart from the replacement of windows and minor alterations to the façade at street level, the building appears much as it did in 1909, and adds to the visual and architectural continuity of the historic main street… the façade shares the same construction and architectural detailing as the original three storeys of the former Mayfair Hotel….”

Congratulation to Heritage Kitchener and the Heritage Planning Department for your success!

http://www.arconserv.ca/news_events/show.cfm?id=128 2015

Advertisements

Lovers’ Deaths Brings Healing Spring at Homer Watson Park

THE LEGEND OF OROMOCTO SPRING
IN ATTIWANDRON PARK—CRESSMAN’S WOODS [now Homer Watson Park]
By Walter Cunningham
Twenty-Fifth Annual Report of the Waterloo Historical Society 1937
In the misty past, Iroquois Indians hunted game in this region. There was a band that was notorious for their prowess in the chase, their Woodcraft, cunning, and cruelty to prisoners. The Upper Canada tribes were less bloodthirsty and feared the Iroquois. When a warning of their approach was received, runners were dispatched to other friendly camps summoning their warriors to assist them in repelling the dreaded marauders. One year, the Iroquois scoured the Niagara region. Since their spoils were meagre, they determined to cross the peninsula and pierce into the Lake Huron district, and on the way to pillage the camps of local Indians and take their scalps to decorate the ridgepoles of their wigwams. Of their coming, a scout alarmed the Attiwandaron village on the Grand River, below Brantford. But all the Attiwandaron warriors were absent on a hunting expedition. In their huts there were only old braves, squaws, boys and maidens. Although wearied by a three days’ run the scout volunteered to warn the absent Attiwandarons.
In the vicinity of Elmira, there was a friendly tribe camped for the summer and known as the Petuns. The greylocks in the village considered it their duty to warn the Petuns of the Iroquois menace. Whom could they send? The old men were too feeble; the squaws not able to undergo the journey; and the chits too inexperienced in forest lore. The prospect of the Petuns being notified of the danger dwindled as the names of possible runners were weighed and discarded. In the Attiwandaron settlement was a maiden named Nashwaaksis. Her comeliness and vigor had won the admiration of Oromocto, a Petun warrior, who had once visited the Attiwandaron village. To her, the memory of his smile was still green.
The music of his voice, telling her that the stars were jealous of her eyes; the birds of her songs; and the flowers of her beauty, were treasured up by the maiden. Thinking of the warrior whom she loved and who, in her heart of hearts she knew, loved her, she offered herself as a messenger.
At daybreak, Nashwaaksis set forth on her long journey. Three days later she reached the Petun camp. There she was feted for her bravery in hazarding the dangerous trail alone. To recover from her exhaustion, she remained for a number of days. Oromocto was solicitous for her comfort and presented her with a pair of moccasins to replace those she had worn out while bringing in the warning. On the eleventh day, she and Oromocto left the Petun shelters for the Attiwandaron village, where it,was agreed that their marriage should be performed as soon as the hostile Iroquois had been driven out.
The first day’s journey brought them to the bluff overlooking the Grand River at Doon. They decided to camp for the night in Cressman’s Woods, nearby; Nashwaaksis to sleep and Oromocto to guard her. In the deep foliage a nook was dound for the maiden, who, wearied with travel, soon fell asleep. After hearing her regular breathing, Oromocto resolved to scout the surrounding woods and ascertain if unseen foes lurked in them. Silently, like a panther, he slipped from tree to tree and knoll to knoll. Darkness crept over the woods. As dawn blotted out the stars and brightened the dome overhead, the Iroquois’ fierce war-whoop rang through the woods. Oromocto dashed furiously along to the dell where his loved one reposed, only to behold a score of fiends leaping through the woods and intent on slaying him.
Hastily lifting Nashwaaksis, telling her to be brave, he thrust her deeper into the foliage. Then he turned and faced his enemies. The fierceness with which he defended his betrothed may be judged by the fact that he dispatched seven of his foes before receiving his own death-blow. When Oromocto was slain, Nashwaaksis uttered a heart-broken scream, sprang from her hiding-place and fell dead across the body of her lover.
Google Image

Google Image

Two days later a party of Attiwandarons appeared on the tragic scene, searching for the maiden. Stoically, they beheld the bodies of the betrothed. They lifted the lifeless forms. As they raised them, a spring of water gushed from the spot. The Attiwandarons interpreted the appearance of the spring to mean:

“Clear as the character of beautiful Nashwaaksis; pure as the love of the twain, and cold as the heart of the Iroquois.”
The waters of the spring were said to contain ingredients that not only restore health but insure happiness. After the brave Petun, the active waters have been named: “Oromocto Spring.”
The tale of the two dead lovers first appeared in the local newspaper in 1917 to help fund raise for the effort to save Cressman’s woods. It was a story designed to raise awareness of the place, but was created in the mind of of a local resident. There is no basis of fact and it is just a wonderful piece of local fiction.

Blanch Alexandrine “Adine” Seagram Bowlby’s tragic death

A Tragedy Marred Holiday Celebration

http://generations.regionofwaterloo.ca/getperson.php?personID=I38627&tree=generations

Mrs. G.H. Bowlby Lost Her Life in Fatal Motor Car Collison. Cars Collided at Victoria and Edward Streets. Other Occupants Escaped With Slight Injuries

An Inquest Into Death

The holiday festivities in the Twin Cities were marred by a fatal accident in which Mrs. G.H. Bowlby lost her life and a number of other citizens were badly shaken up and bruised.

The accident was caused by a collision between two automobiles at about one thirty o’clock on Saturday afternoon at the corner of Victoria and Edward Streets. Mrs. Bowlby with the four-year-daughter of Captain Tom Seagram of Waterloo, who was driving a Peerless car, was in the back seat of the machine which was going easterly on Victoria Street. At the same time a Ford Roadster, driven by Mr. Harvey Kennedy, who was accompanied by Mr. L. Wellheuser and Mr. Harry Lang, the latter sitting on the door, was going up Edward towards Victoria. A crash came. While Capt. Seagram swerved his car sideways it received the full impact of the other car. The machines were turned turtle and the occupants thrown out and underneath the cars. They, except Mrs. Bowlby, were able to extricate themselves from them machines and willing hands were soon offered. It was found that Mrs. Bowlby was pinned underneath the car was severely injured. Her brother, Capt. Seagram, extricated her from the wreckage. She was unconscious. Medical assistance and the ambulance were summoned. Dr. Kalbfleisch was on the scene soon. The ambulance arrived; she was removed to the hospital, where Dr. Kalbfleisch arrived a few minutes later. An examination of her injuries revealed a fracture of the skull, a broken collar bone and several broken ribs, which also caused internal injuries. An operation was deemed necessary. This was performed by Drs. Kalbfleisch, Gillespie and Hagmeier but unfortunately the efforts to save her life could not be brought to a successful conclusion and her death followed. This was about half an hour later.

A post-mortem examination was held later in the day and through it the opinions of the medical men on the character and extent of the injuries received by Mrs. Bowlby were ascertained.

Injuries Sustained by Others

Captain Seagram’s injuries were: sever abrasions on the face and a severe shaking up. The little daughter aside from the nervous shock and scratches, escaped unscathed. The occupants in the other car all escaped with slight injuries. Mr. Kennedy, however, received bruises in the side of his body. But none of them were incapacitated. Both machines were badly damaged. The Peerless car, however, after it was put on its wheels was taken to a garage under its own power.

Had Been Out Berry Picking

It should be added that the occupants in the Ford roadster had been out berry picking and were homeward bound with their berries.

Inquest Deemed Necessary

Coroner Dr. Kalbfleisch deemed an inquest necessary and immediately had a jury empanelled. Later in the afternoon they viewed the body of the deceased and also inspected the scene of the accident. They then adjourned until 1:30 Wednesday afternoon.

In connection with the cause of the accident the facts, it is expected, will be brought out at the inquest. Incidentally side from the cause, it is noteworthy that the corner of Edward and Victoria Streets does not afford a clear view to people traversing the streets. On three corners buildings are near the street line and hide the view from one street to the other.

Mrs. Bowlby’s Death a Severe Loss

The death of Mrs. Bowlby under the tragic circumstances caused intense sorrow among the citizens of Kitchener and waterloo. The loss sustained by the family is also keenly felt by the people of the community and b hundreds of friends that Mrs. Bowlby had elsewhere. Possessing a pleasing personality and endowed with noble qualities of kindness, charity, and an interest in the welfare of others, she had a warm place in the hearts and thoughts of all who knew her. Mrs. Bowlby gave valuable service on not a few organizations of public benefit and patriotic purposes among them being the Daughters of the Empire.

When the late Major B.H. Bowlby went to England in 1915 where he was engaged in surgical work in military hospitals, she accompanied him. Since his death which was caused by falling over a cliff in September 1917 she engaged in Red Cross work until she returned home about a year ago, to be with her father, who was in poor health.

Mrs. Bowlby was a daughter of Mr. Joseph Seagram, ex-MP, of Waterloo. Surviving her are her father and four brothers, who are Mr. E.F. Seagram, Captain Tom Seagram, Mr. Joseph Seagram, Jr., Orillia, and Mr. Norman Seagram, Toronto.

Seven Eye Witnesses Empanelled

Quite a number of witnesses are being empanelled to testify at the inquest, among them being seven eye witnesses. The jury consists of the following gentlemen: J.E. Bilger, foreman, B.H. Ziegler, J. Welker, L.S. Orlowski, Geo. C. Doerr, S.H. Hessenauer, Charles P. Knapp, George Steinmetz, J.A. Fuhrmann, V.R. Berlet.

Funeral Tomorrow

The funeral of the late Mrs. Adine Bowlby will be held tomorrow afternoon. There will be a service at the residence, 11 West Weber Street, at 4 o’clock and afterwards at St. John’s Anglican Church. After the church service the remains will be taken to Montreal.

Kitchener News Record – 21 Jul 1919 pg 1

Dr. Mayor George Herbert Bowlby’s Tragic Death

G. HERBERT BOWLBY, M.D. FOUND DEAD AT BOTTOM OF CLIFF

George Herbert Bowlby

George Herbert Bowlby

http://generations.regionofwaterloo.ca/getperson.php?personID=I38626&tree=generations

George Herbert Bowlby

Well-Known Kitchener physician Meets With Sudden and Tragic End of Seaford, England – Was Assistant Director of Medical Service
WITH ARMY MEDICAL CORPS SINCE JULY, 1915

“Dr. Herbert Bowlby is dead,” was the shocking information which was circulated throughout the city with great rapidity on Sunday morning, after the message had been received by relatives in the city about 10:30 o’clock announcing that Capt. G. Herbert Bowlby, M.D., had been found dead at the foot of a cliff near Seaford. Within a few minutes of receiving the news in the city a number of the civic flags were lowered to half-mast out of respect to the memory of the deceased.

The message was sent from Ottawa by the Officers in charge of Records, and was addressed to Mrs. Adin S. Bowlby, 11 Weber St., W., wife of the deceased officer, who is also in England. Mr. Reinhold Lang, who is occupying the Bowlby residence, telephoned to Capt. T.W. Seagram, Paymaster of the 118th Battalion; informing him that a message was received announcing the death of Dr. Bowlby. The relatives of Dr. Bowlby were immediately notified and the news came as a severe and unexpected shock to all. The message was as follows: – “Deeply regret to inform you that Deputy Assistant Director of Medical Service, Seaford, reports November 11th, 1916, Captain George Herbert Bowlby, A.D. M.S. Embarkation, Shoreham-in-Sea, was found dead at foot of cliff near Seaford. Further particulars will be sent when available.”

Late in the afternoon a brief cablegram was received by relatives from Mrs. Bowlby with this information “Herbert dead.” It is expected that further information as to the tragic death of the late Dr. Bowlby will be received direct from England today.

The Late Dr. Bowlby

The late Capt. G. Herbert Bowlby, M.D., L.R.C.P., A.D.S.M., was born in this city in July fifty-one years ago, and has lived here the greater portion of his life. He was a son of the late Dr. D.S. Bowlby and is a direct descendant of the United Empire Loyalists who came to Canada at the time of the revolutionary war in the United States. His ancestors originated in Nottingham, England. Richard Bowlby, of whom the doctor is a direct descendant, came to America with the celebrated William Penn, the founder of the state of Pennsylvania. Dr. Bowlby was educated at the Public and High Schools in this city, and also took a course at St. Jerome’s College. He was a graduate of Toronto University, where he received his degree in medicine. He had since become a member of the Royal College of Surgeons in London and also was a Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians.

During his school days he was prominently identified with the athletic activities of the student and was goal keeper for the famous High School football team of 1877 to 1882. He was also identified with various cricket clubs in this city and in Toronto.

Dr. Bowlby was medical officer of the grey’s Home and at the last encampment attended the lectures on army hospital work and field ambulance work, and after passing the necessary examinations took the rank of Captain, which was recognized by the military authorities when he offered his service with the Army Medical Corps with the Canadian Expeditionary Forces. He left this city in July of 1915 to assume his duties and since arriving in England has been on duty in the large military Hospitals at Shorncliffe and more recently at Bath. He was recently appointed Assistant Director of Medical Service.

Since he has been on hospital duty in England, Dr. Bowlby has written many interesting letters to his aged mother, Mrs. D.S. Bowlby, 57 Margaret Avenue, in which he gave vivid descriptions of the scenic beauties surrounding the tow institutions at Shorncliffe and Bath. It is supposed that while taking a walk to view the scenery around the Hospital at Bath that he met with an accident which resulted in his death as reported by the military authorities.

Kitchener,BowlbyG.H.Dr.-residence-busyberlin1897During his residence in the city Dr. Bowlby took an active interest in municipal affairs and served several years in the Council and was Mayor of the town in 1901. He always took a keen interest in the welfare of the K-W Hospital and at the time of his death was a member of the Medical Advisory Committee. He was also a former Medical Health Officer. Since the commencement of the war he was active in the various patriotic enterprises of the city.

The late Dr. Bowlby is survived by his wife, who is a daughter of Jos. E. Seagram, ex-M.P., his aged mother, two sisters, Mrs. E.P. Clement, and Mrs. J.P. Fennell, and one brother D. Shannon Bowlby, all of Kitchener. It is not definitely known whether the remains will be brought to this city for burial.

Berlin Daily Telegraph 13 Nov 1916 pg 1, 5

A Death In the Poor House

House of Industry and Refuge-drawingThere died in the Poor House, Berlin, on Saturday last, Mrs. Thomas Frame, widow of the late Thomas Frame, at one time well known in Galt as the landlord of the old Union Hotel. The ups and downs of life are well illustrated in this death. For many years Mr. and Mrs. Frame were well to do and respected, but darker days came, the husband died and the widow drifted slowly into the poor house, there passing her last days in peace and quietness. Their only daughter was married to Mr. Samuel Burnett, and it will be remembered by many of the husband’s young friends in those days, the shock of sorrow which was felt when the intelligence of her death, after but a short time of married life, reached them.

Galt Reporter 14 Sep 1888 pg 1

http://generations.regionofwaterloo.ca/getperson.php?personID=I132670&tree=generations

James Thornton Huber – more than one business

http://generations.regionofwaterloo.ca/getperson.php?personID=I10491&tree=generations

J.T. Huber & Co., manufacturers of Patent Compressed Insoles, Upholsterers’ Wool Batting and Flock – The manufacturing industries of Berlin are varied in character and important in extent, and aid materially in developing the commercial prosperity of the town. Among the number of prominent specialties may be mentioned that conducted by J.T. Huber & Co., manufacturers of patent compressed insoles, upholsterers’ wool batting and flock. The present firm succeeded Mr. George H. Nelson two years ago, and putting fresh life and vigor into the enterprise, are increasing the business weekly. The premises occupied, which are located near the Grand Trunk Railway station, are 50×100 feet in dimensions and two stories in height, where employment is furnished to 20 skillful workmen. The machinery used is all of the latest and most improved designs, consisting of carding and batting machines, pickers, etc., which are operated by a 30-horse power steam engine with boiler of 40-horse power. The product of the works is sold throughout the entire of Canada to shoe manufacturers, upholsterers and cabinet makers, amongst whom it is in active demand. Mr. Huber is always on the lookout for improvements, and is constantly adding to his reputation for the excellent quality of material manufactured by him, which is the cause of his constantly growing trade.

Industries of Canada Historical and Commercial Sketches Hamilton and Environs 1886

______________________________

Berlin-Huber,JamesThornton-tradeinshapeofcup-WRM

image from Waterloo Region Museum An advertisement or trade card cut in the shape of a cup and saucer with coloured decoration. Printing on the cup and on the back of the card: J.T. HUBER / Largest stock of / CROCKERY, / IN THE COUNTY. / Berlin, Ont. Possibly ca. 1880. 11.3 x 7 cm

J. T. Huber, Groceries and Crockery, King St. – Among the many industries in Berlin that call for special notice in a work of this kind is that which deals in the necessaries of life, principal among which is that of groceries. Berlin contains several first-class stores in this line of business, principal among the number being that of Mr. J.T. Huber, whose establishment is located on King Street in the American block. This business has been established for the past eight years, and since its inception has improved steadily and rapidly. The premises occupied are 23×75 feet in dimensions, and tastefully and appropriately fitted up for the requirements of the trade. A very large and well-selected stock of staple and fancy groceries is carried, consisting of the choicest brands of teas and coffees, pure spices, table delicacies, hermetically sealed goods, flour, etc. Mr. Huber makes a specialty of crockery and glassware, of which he carries a large fine stock, and sells at prices that defy competition. His trade extends throughout the town and country; he gives employment to four painstaking and competent assistants, and uses one team in the delivery of goods. Mr. Huber is a native of Canada, and a gentleman who understands most thoroughly every department of the business he now so successfully conducts. He is a man of indomitable energy and enterprise, and is held in high esteem in the community.

Industries of Canada Historical and Commercial Sketches Hamilton and Environs 1886